New Orleans - Just in Time
Mar 15-21 2020
Come to New Orleans for an exploration of the fascinating arts, culture and history of this amazing city. The birthplace of Jazz and the home of an incredibly rich African-American culture, the people of New Orleans have created and nurtured a deep and powerful world of music, cuisine, community and arts. There are few places in North America where music is so vibrant, respected and celebrated. The music grabs you and invites you to participate. Rich in culture, folkways, music, dance, cuisine and most importantly people and community - Louisiana is a special place to visit and learn from.
New Orleans - March 15-21 2020
Our musical journey will be based out of the famous French Quarter in New Orleans - here are some of the wonderful activities we will participate in. You will be free most evenings to explore the vibrant music scene or treat yourself to a delicious dinner.
- Music workshop with Brian Seeger (Prof at UNO Jazz Department) and Jenna McSwain (Prof at Loyola University)
- Workshop/performance with Doreen Ketchens and her early jazz band
- Vocal workshop with Topsy Chapman and Solid Harmony
- Visit to Gospel Choir rehearsal
- Guided swamp tour
- Plantation Tour
- Riverboat Jazz Cruise
- Treme Explorations - visit to Backstreet Cultural Museum and Petit Jazz Museum
- Nighttime Haunted City Tour
- Visit to New Orleans Jazz Museum
- Curated nights out (insider view on where to go and what to see!)
We will stay in the beautiful Hotel Provincial right in the French Quarter. We will be 3 blocks away from Frenchman Street - a live music paradise with. We are also 2 blocks from the Market and Cafe Du Monde (world famous beignets open 24 hours a day)!
Cost - $1650 CAD
What is included: all accommodations, all tours, classes, performances, entrances to parks, museums and all taxes.
What is not included: flights to New Orleans, meals, extra outings to hear live music at night.
**Cost is based on double occupancy. Single supplement is an extra $900 CAD
(March 15th is an arrival day. There will be optional activities depending on people's arrival times on March 15th. Our main program will start on the morning of March 16th. March 21st is a check out day and there are no organized activities on that day.)