New Orleans - Roots 'n' Wings
Jan 16-23 2020
Please fill out this registration online - you are already registered but please fill this out for us here!
Come to New Orleans for a 7 day exploration of the fascinating arts, culture and history of this amazing city. The birthplace of Jazz and the home of an incredibly rich African-American culture, the people of New Orleans have created and nurtured a deep and powerful world of music, cuisine, community and arts. There are few places in North America where music is so vibrant, respected and celebrated. The music grabs you and invites you to participate. Rich in culture, folkways, music, dance, cuisine and most importantly people and community - Louisiana is a special place to visit and learn from.
New Orleans - Jan 16-23 2020
Our musical journey will be based out of the famous French Quarter in New Orleans - here are some of the wonderful activities we will participate in. You will be free most evenings to explore the vibrant music scene or treat yourself to a delicious dinner.
- Music workshop with Brian Seeger (Prof at UNO Jazz Department)
- Workshop/performance with Doreen Ketchens and her traditional jazz band
- Vocal workshop with Topsy Chapman and Solid Harmony
- Visit a church and experience a Sunday morning gospel service
- Guided swamp tour
- Treme Explorations - visit to Backstreet Cultural Museum and Petit Jazz Museum
- Attend the Danny Barker Festival (admission included and you will be able to see many shows of top New Orleans musicians and experience a second line parade)
- Visit to New Orleans Jazz Museum
- admission to two museums featuring exhibits about Katrina, Mardi Gras and New Orleans history
- Curated nights out (insider view on where to go and what to see!)
We will stay in the beautiful Hotel Provincial right in the French Quarter. We will be 3 blocks away from Frenchman Street - a live music paradise with. We are also 2 blocks from the Market and Cafe Du Monde (world famous beignets open 24 hours a day)! Most of our activities are within walking distance of 15-20 minutes. If you need a ride, Uber is the best, fastest and most affordable option.
Cost - $1200 USD
What is included: all accommodations, all tours, classes, performances, entrances to parks, museums and all taxes.
What is not included: flights to New Orleans, transfers to and from the airport, meals, extra outings to hear live music at night.
Single Supplement: If you require a single room there is an additional charge of $525 USD
Inital non-refundable deposit of $250 USD is due May 15th 2019
Remaining balance of $950 USD is due Nov 1st 2019.
Payment can be in US cheque or money order (this is easily done at your bank.) Payment must be in US funds - not the CAD equivalent. Payments are made out to SongRoots.
All payments will be collected at choir rehearsal.