New Orleans - City Soul Choir
May 9-16 2024
Come to New Orleans for an exploration of the fascinating music, arts, culture and history of this amazing city. The birthplace of Jazz and the home of an incredibly rich African-American culture, the people of New Orleans have created and nurtured a deep and powerful world of music, cuisine, community and arts. There are few places in North America where music is so vibrant, respected and celebrated. The music grabs you and invites you to participate. Rich in culture, folkways, music, dance, cuisine and most importantly people and community - New Orleans is a special place to visit and learn from.
Our musical journey will be based just outside of the famous French Quarter in New Orleans - here are some of the wonderful activities we will participate in. You will be free most evenings to explore the vibrant music scene or treat yourself to a delicious dinner. Karla will work with local musicians to come up with a suggested evening itinerary for 'curated nights out' to see the best live music in town!
- Music/improv workshop with Brian Seeger (Prof at UNO Jazz Department)
- Workshop/performance with Doreen Ketchens and her early jazz band
- Vocal workshop with Yolanda Robinson, Kiki Chapman and Caleb Windsay
- Vocal Workshop with Tonya Boyd Cannon
- Rehearsal workshop with Shades of Praise Gospel Choir
- CSC Cabaret Night with New Orleans Band
- Cooking Class
- Treme Explorations - visit to Backstreet Cultural Museum and Meal at Lil' Dizzy's
- Shared event with other choir (in progress)
- Demonstration/History Lecture (in progress)
- Sunday morning Church visit
- Choir rehearsal and recording (at Esplanade Studios) with New Orleans band
- Curated nights out (insider view on where to go and what to see!)
Other than the musical events, there will be time for some neighbourhood exploration, potentially a visit to Preservation Hall or a Swamp Tour.
The group hotel will be 'Hampton Inn and Suites (French Quarter Area) which is just two blocks outside of the French quarter and one block from the famous Canal Street. Breakfast is included! If you wish, you can also book your own accommodations
Cost - $1650 CAD + $50 Registration fee
What is included: 7 nights accommodations, breakfasts, two meals, all workshops, lectures, performances, rehearsals, recording fees, musician fees, space rental and all taxes.
What is not included: flights to New Orleans, transportation throughout the city, most meals, extra outings to hear live music at night.
**Cost is based on double occupancy. Single occupancy supplement is an extra $700 CAD
(May 9th is an arrival day. We will meet with Shades of Praise choir that evening at 7:00 pm. May 16th is a departure day and we will finish up our scheduled activities the evening of May 15th)